Monday, November 23, 2015

November, Istanbul, Books, Questions and Answers

The month of November is a month of art and literature in Istanbul.  Every year in November a couple of important international fairs take place. The most attractive one for me is the International Istanbul Book Fair organized by TUYAP.  Contemporary Istanbul and ArtIst International Istanbul Art Fair are the two other important annual events.  And I was in Istanbul for the two weeks this November to enjoy and attend these important fairs.

I must admit my favorite event is the Istanbul Book Fair.  Has been since I was a child.  This year I had the pleasure and honor to attend the Book Fair as a writer. Although my books have been out starting from the year 2009, this year I attended the Book Fair as a writer for the first time.  During my childhood years, the Istanbul Book Fair has been one of the big attractions in Istanbul every year. 

This year the Fair is in its 34th year and it is continuously expanding.  I have been told that this year 750 publishing houses attended the Book Fair.  In a very tough year for Turkey and the World, the theme for this year’s Fair was “Humor: Looking at life with a smile.”

Looking at the drastic events taking place in Turkey, in the World and with the latest Paris events sometimes it is indeed almost impossible to smile.  However, to be able to cope with all that is happening, maybe humor and laughter are the most important tools that we need to survive. The tools that we desperately need to find the power and courage to live, to keep on going.

The Book Fair was packed with visitors from Day 1. The first of my book signing days was on the first day of the Fair, on November 7th, 2015.  The second was on November 13th, 2015 which was the last Friday of the Book Fair.   During the Book Fair, I had the chance to meet some of the organizers of the Fair through common friends.  I learned that even though about 750 thousand people visit the Fair, only about 20 thousand pay an entrance fee.  Watching the entrance gates is enough to see that it is very true.  All students and teachers enter for free as well as many other groups.  The representatives of TUYAP emphasized that for them this Book Fair is a social responsibility event and has been since the beginning 33 years ago.

*

Being among thousands and thousands of books for many days during the Istanbul Book Fair, I must admit that I felt strangely peaceful.  They seemed to offer the possibility of finding all the answers that we are and have been looking for.  They always seem to do that. Then again with my last fifteen-sixteen years of working with energy techniques like Reiki and Jyorei, following the path of listening to our heart and soul, I know that the true answers that we are so desperately seeking come from within.  Or rather from a connection with the whole, a connection with the Source that resonates within.  The answers are not exactly in the books. Yet, the words of many authors whether in fiction or non-fiction, through the stories that they tell, help us identify that which we find in our knowingness.

I do not know the exact number of books that I have.  Probably around five thousand or maybe more. I have never counted. They are scattered in my different libraries in about four different locations.  Many that do not fit in the shelves are in boxes.

I feel good around books. I feel at home around books, wherever I am.  I love the possibility of being carried away and also the possibility of being carried into different moods, emotions, thoughts and the different possible worlds of the real and the imaginary.  I loved reading. Well, I still do. I spent years reading non-stop. 

For years, the books that I had were never enough.  To be honest, until quite recently.  Every new topic of interest brought the desire and the need of reading about it.  I felt best in book fairs and libraries.  The amazing libraries of Cornell University in Ithaca New York still amaze me as they used to do during my college years.  I remember feeling sad for studying engineering because there was not enough time from school to explore the unlimited world of books at Cornell. 
And to study engineering was my choice since I just adored math since I was five or six years old.

As the years progressed, even though I could not resist the temptation to buy new books, I found myself re-reading a selection of less than a hundred instead of continuing to read on as I used to do.  There have been times when I read books continuously one after the other. Sometimes a book a day. 


I also discovered that I am able to read fast, not using a known reading technique, but I seemed to be able to do it. Reading fast made it possible to keep the pace of reading. However, it started to slow down.  My interest turned into returning to read a favorite selection.  And introducing a more carefully selected new ones rather slowly.  The desire and the actual act of buying books unfortunately have not diminished as much.

*

My pace and my choices of reading books seem to follow a strange correlation with my questions in and about life.  As my questions diminish and/or as the answers to my questions emerge more naturally or easily from within or from sources that seem to appear and find me, I seem to read less. I read more slowly.  I wait between books. I take my time.

I do not judge the various phases of my own story with books during these last 35 years. It was in fourth grade that I realized their importance for me. The importance of having a book, reading a book, getting lost and found in a book.  It was like breathing and without books I usually felt as if I could not.

And today in Fethiye, I feel thankful.  For having had the chance to meet with the worlds of  many through books. Thankful for having had the chance to quench that thirst. Thankful for knowing that what we need to know seems to have a magical way of reaching us.

I now use my personal libraries more to lend books to friends, students and clients that for myself.  
What the next step in my connection with my books will be, for now I need to wait and see.

With love and light.
Zeynep

Affirmation of the Week:
From Louise L. Hay
It is my Divine right to take my own direction in life.  I am safe. I am free.

Quotes of the Week:
Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training.
Anna Freud
*
Life is denied by lack of attention, whether it be to cleaning windows or trying to write a masterpiece.

Nadia Boulanger

No comments: