Monday, July 23, 2012

Being a Turk in Korea


A few days ago I visited a neighbour at the Sovalye Island, Mr. Zeki Koreli.  His last name is Koreli which means “From Korea” or rather “Korean” in Turkish and there is a reason for him to have this last name.  He is one of the veterans of the Korean War in which Turkish soldiers also took part in the early 1950s.  Many of the soldiers never made it back.  He is one of the lucky ones who made it back to Fethiye after eleven months in Korea in a brutal war.  Mr. Zeki Koreli was my neighbour for seven years, but after coming back from Korea this July, I feel like I understand him and I appreciate his time in Korea for real for the first time.  I believe now even more in the power of seeing for ourselves.  Seeing becomes believing; seeing becomes understanding.

What did I understand?  Well, let’s go back a few weeks.

On June 23rd, 2012 I got on an early morning plane with 106 Turks from Seoul to Busan to attend the Lions Clubs International’s Lions Parade in Busan, Korea.  As a tradition Lions from 208 countries walk in a parade with their countries’ flags to salute the people of the city where the Lions International Convention takes place. The Parade was in the morning of the 23rd of June in Busan and we were going to make it just in time.

After we landed, we got on three buses and went directly to meeting point of the Parade, where thousands of Lions from different countries were waiting for their turn to start walking in the Parade.  After spending a day and a half in Seoul, Busan was my second destination in Korea.  And in Busan, I discovered what it meant to be a Turk in Korea.

Only a few minutes after I got off the bus, I found myself walking side by side with Korean Lions who were also walking to get to the meeting point.  We started talking.  The second they discovered that I was a Turk, they started smiling, talking more, shaking hands, complementing me and offering me things, offering me food, pins and small gifts.  I was surprised, but I would be discovering later on that I was not comprehending the real degree of their friendship yet.

When we as the Lions Clubs Members from Turkey arrived at the Parade meeting point, there were thousands of Lions from so many different countries.  I knew that over 55 thousand Lions Clubs members had signed up for the Lions 95th International Convention, however to feel the energy of so many liked minded people with such different backgrounds was like swimming in a sea of many different colours and textures.  As I looked up, I saw the two big Turkish Flags in the air.  A team of Turkish Lions had come to Busan a few days earlier to take care of the necessary preparations for our group.

In the Parade area there were Lions from Nepal, Spain and Bangladesh nearby.  Many women Lions from Korea were wearing their traditional costume the Korean Hanbok, which is a long dress resembling the Japanese Kimono, in bright colours.

We had to wait about 30-40 minutes for our turn to start walking in the Lions Parade.  As we lined up to walk with one very big Turkish Flag in front of our group and with banners with Mustafa Kemal Ataturk’s sayings, Koreans started to cheer for us.  Each member of our group had a few Turkish flags in our hands which we stared to wave as we were walking.  Lions from Korea and Koreans who were waiting on the side of  the road stared to shout our “Our big brother... We love you... Turkey, welcome to Korea...” and many similar words.  Since this was my first Lions International Convention and first Lions Parade, I initially thought they were cheering for all of the countries as they walked in front of them.  I soon realized it was not so.  They were cheering for us, they were applauding us, they were calling us their big brother because we were Turks, because we were Lions from Turkey.

Koreans were coming near our group asking for one of our small Turkish friends.  They were coming near us to take a picture of their kids with us.  They were telling their kids to wave to us, to cheer for us.   As we they were cheering  “Turkey... Turkey... Turkey...” And in return our group of about 100 Turks found ourselves cheering, shouting “Korea” at the top of our lungs. They were shouting  “Turkey” and we were shouting back “Korea.” This continued for the couple of hours we walked in the Lions Parade in Busan.  Strange, interesting, emotional, surprising... I had heard that Koreans like Turks very much and that there is a deep respect for Turks in Korea. I had heard. However, I had not imagined that people my age or younger, who certainly were not around during the time of the Korean War still appreciated the efforts and sacrifices of the Turkish soldiers during the Korean War.  They knew.  Little kids who were may be 7, 8 or 9 years old seemed to know.  They seemed to know and care.  It was strange to see that they not only cared, they wanted to make sure that they showed us that they cared.

When I had decided to attend the Lions Clubs International’s yearly International Convention in Busan, Korea, I had not imagined that being a Turk would make that trip special.  I had been to many countries around the world and had been welcome in many. However, I had not experienced a visit where being a Turk made such a big difference.  Korea in that respect would be a first for me.

There is surely more to the story and June 25th, 2012 was another special day to be Turk in Korea.  Let’s leave the story of that day to another week.

...

In these hot summer days, please make sure you drink plenty of water and let it wash your body from inside out.  If you consume alcohol and caffeinated drinks which cause dehydration, make sure you add a couple of glasses more to your daily amount of water intake.

Wishing you many blessings in the week to come.
Love,
Zeynep

_______________
Quote of the Week:
“Every time you put yourself into a proactive state, it is considered an act of sharing."
Yehuda Berg, From “The Monster is Real”
Affirmation of the Week:
From Louise L. Hay:  “I get plenty of sleep every night.  My body appreciates how I take care of it.”

No comments: