Saturday, July 28, 2012

China, A New Country for Me to Discover...


I was in China for the first time this summer.  I am not sure if I would like to go back soon, but seeing China made me think about a different part of the world during my whole trip.  I could not help but think of the choices people make in life.  I went to three cities in China, Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai. 

I remember that the first morning that I arrived in China, I felt a strange energy of constriction.  Not because I knew about the country.  It was the feeling that something is not right.  The same feeling continued even after we arrived at our five star hotel, a Marriott and even after I entered my room which was one of the best that I have stayed among the hundreds of hotel rooms I have stayed in.  In the middle of the evening I woke up.  I looked out my wide window.  My room had a wide view of that  part of the city.  There were no cars in the wide boulevard of a city of millions.  I felt a strange chill down my spine.  The energy of Beijing made me uneasy during the three days that I was there.  With its high rises, with the modern look, Beijing looked like a developing city. Still there was something that was making me uneasy.  Something hard to describe, yet very real. 

Sometimes you move into an apartment and although the location might be great, although the apartment may be in great condition, you can never feel comfortable in it.  It happens with shops and offices as well. Some shops in a certain location never have good business while the shop next door might be flocking with customers.  The problem may be the land the building is on and sometimes the problem is the people who owned or used to live in the building.  The energy of past troubles, the energy of the old occupants might still be there, affecting the people who live or work there now.  Customers might keep away because our subconscious, our energy knows that there is a problem there.  And we keep away.  Beijing had a similar effect on me.  It was as if I was on my toes trying to keep away from trouble.  The five star hotels, the high rise buildings, the clean look of the main boulevards were not enough for me to ignore the feeling.  In Xi’an and Shanghai the feeling did not disappear, however, it was definitely strongest in Beijing.

2012 is the “Year of China in Turkey” to honour the 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between Turkey and China. The year 2013 will be the “Year of Turkey in China.”  As some of the might remember because of my connection with Japan, with different foundations and groups in Japan as well as my connection with Lions Clubs in Japan, I had taken part in various organisations and events to honour the “Year of Japan in Turkey” in 2010.  Together with Fethiye Lions Clubs, which I am a member of, and Lions Clubs International Turkish Council we had organised concerts and specials events in Fethiye, İstanbul and İzmir.  Two years later Turkey is increasing its connections with another country, China this time.  And I do not feel prepared.  Visiting China in this special year was an opportunity for me to start to learn about this country and its people personally.

Visiting Shanghai and seeing the city from the Shanghai Tower, Oriental Pearl Radio & TV Tower as it is formally called, was an experience that will stay with me forever.  The Tower was completed in 1994 and until 2007 it was the tallest structure in China.    It is 468 metres high.  I had the chance to have dinner at the revolving restaurant which is at the 267 metre level.  The open buffet restaurant had food from all parts of the world.  I found myself drawn to the Japanese buffet again. The miso soup was excellent.  So were the sushi.  The restaurant was revolving quite fast.  If you were standing of the side that was revolving and if you took more than a few seconds you would find your table getting away from you.  However, apart from that it felt very comfortable.  Also, as the restaurant was revolving and the buffets at the center were stable and stationary, I would need to walk different distances to reach the various parts of the dinner buffet.  The big circular restaurant was quite packed and it is worth the money and the effort.  If I went to Shanghai away, I probably will like to repeat the experience.

The antenna of the Oriental Pearl Tower which adds 118 metres to the structure is used to broadcast radio and TV programs. And with this antenna, the Tower reaches its height of 468 metres.  

At the 90th metre of the Tower, there is another observatory level, one of the fifteen in the Tower.  At that level  there is a glass deck that you can walk on and see the city under you as well as out.  I tired to get on that glass bottom balcony and I have to admit my head started to spin, chills –again- went down my spine, my stomach tightened.  I only could lie down on the glass floor.  I could not walk to the glass side of this glass deck.  There were some who could do it.  However, among the hundreds of people who were there, only very few could do it. It is strange how our body stops us from doing this that our mind finds safe and reasonable, how our body literally stops us from something our heart wants.  Our deep rooted reflexes unexpectedly kick in.

Shanghai with its hundreds of high-rises and skyscrapers made me forget that I was in China instantly.  I had been in New York and Tokyo many times.  These two cities were symbols of modern age to me, may be Tokyo even more.  I had not been to Dubai, so I might be missing out on another important benchmark.  I had been to the capital of South Korea Seoul before seeing China.  The city had seemed quite modern.  Going to Seoul again after seeing Shanghai, everything looked a bit dull, not high-enough.  After seeing Shanghai  it is hard to be impressed by another city.  With this colourful city of continuous constructions that seem to be growing higher every day, China has certainly created an impressive image in Shanghai.  Of course to be able to know the real China with its 1,3 billion people and 9,6 million square kilometres, one might need to travel a much different path...
...

Before I started to write this week’s piece, I chose a card from the “Saints & Angels” Card Deck of Doreen Virtue with the intention of asking for support for all those who will read it.   The message came from St. Agnes of Rome and her message was “Don’t Compromise”.  The main message translates as “The need to take a stand in favour of our truth and self-esteem.”  This does not mean to fight with those who do not agree with us, but rather first to try to make others see and understand our point of view peacefully.  However, if those efforts do not work, still to make sure that we stay with our beliefs and values and not to compromise as the main message says.  This surely is not an easy path, but maybe is the only one that will make us truly peaceful and happy even if it is difficult.  You may invite St. Agnes of Rome to support you to live with your beliefs whenever you feel the need.  May this energy support us during this week.

With best wishes,
Zeynep

_______________
Quote of the Week:
“Birth and death are not two different states, but they are different aspects of the same state."
                                               Gandhi
Affirmation of the Week:
From Louise L. Hay:  “I know that old, negative patterns no longer limit me.  I let them go with ease.”

No comments: