Saturday, October 13, 2012

Brussels, Lions and What Cello Brings


I went to Brussels for the second time this fall. The first time was more than 23 years ago.  I had spent one afternoon and one night as was going to New York for my third year in college.  I had found a cheap ticket on a flight with Sabena Airlines, which no longer exists.  Belgium now has a Brussels Airlines I believe, but I never used it. On that one August evening twenty three years ago, Brussels had seemed quite safe, quiet and friendly.  This September, Brussels to my surprise, seemed less safe, a lot less safe.
...
I was going to Brussels to attend the Lions Clubs International’s 58. Europa Forum.  Last year it was held in Maastricht, The Netherlands and next year the yearly European gathering of Lions Clubs Members in Europe will be held in Istanbul.  Since this year I am the vice-council secretary of the Lions Turkish Council, I wanted to be there as a Lion, but also Belgium was one of the few countries in Europe that I had been in only once.  I wanted to see the new Brussels as well.

This summer I had been to China for the first time and I had felt quite unsafe in this huge country.  Strangely, I felt the same “uneasiness” in Brussels.  Strange. The ‘de facto’ capital of the European Union seems to have turned into a city where you need to be careful.  Careful to make sure you watch and protect your purse, your wallet, your phone, whatever you may be carrying.  In a split second you may lose your passport and all your important belongings.  I had not seen so frequent “pick-pocket” incidents in a long time.  About 25-30 years ago, every time we visited Italy, we would be told to be very careful and I had tried to be a little bit more careful in Italy, a country that I really love to go to.

I had been in hundreds of taxis around the world.  In Europe taking a taxi is usually a trouble free experience.  Usually. In Brussels, it was less frequent to meet a decent taxi driver.  I do not speak Dutch, I speak some French.  However I do not choose to speak French if I do not really have to.   Still, I was happy to be able to understand one of the languages spoken in the Belgium.  

When I go to a country and a city that I do not know well, I always buy a book about the place and a map beforehand.  To be able to move around a city comfortable, I need a map.  My mind needs a map.  And I had a map of Brussels that I bought in Istanbul with from day one.  I also got a more practical city map from the hotel I was staying at as well. 

So almost every time I go in a taxi in Brussels, I knew where I was and where I was going and the approximate distances.  Brussels is a city you can walk and discover in a couple of hours, but my mind still wants a map and I do not fight with that need any more.  In four days I was in Brussels, I saw taxi drivers who tried to convince me that there were fixed minimal rates for certain destinations, that of course did not exit and lucky that I knew did not exits.  I met taxi drivers who tried to take unreasonably long routes to places that I had gone three or four times before from other and cheaper routes.  It was very strange to see what taxi drivers in Brussels were willing to do to get two, three, five Euros more from their clients.  It did not feel like Europe. I found myself scolding drivers and getting out of taxis in the middle of the roads.  I only had the trouble of changing couple of taxis and maybe paying extra 5-10 Euros, but some Turkish Lions Clubs members attending the Lions Europa Forum were not as lucky.  One lady even had her handbag stolen at the lobby of the four star hotel we were staying in.  The hotel management showed us the signs that they had put in the lobby to warn customers about the theft problem in Brussels, which we had not been aware of before the theft.  I am not sure if this is a result of the Economical problems in the EU or about Brussels changing after being the capital of Europe, but certainly Brussels is not the sweet and peaceful city that I liked and wanted to visit again this September.  The weather was amazing. It was sunny and warm, without a drop of rain, which I was told was to be expected any day in the Fall.

I had one positive encounter with an old Tunisian taxi driver.  As I got in his cab, we started to talk in French.  I am never confident with my French.  But this sweet old man convinced me to carry on talking and we had a wonderful talk for about twenty minutes.  As I was getting out of the taxi, he gave me a very gentle smile and told me that I did well.  I found myself smiling back.  I was talking only in French for twenty minutes and we had talked about our countries, families, politics and more. 

...

The Lions Europa Forum that I attended in Brussels was really great. There were very interesting sessions on service projects in Europe, as well as Leadership trainings.  Every year different competitions for the youth take place at the Lions Europa Forums.  One of them is the Lions European Music Competition.  This year’s instrument was the cello.  And I am very proud to announce that a young Turkish cellist Dorukhan Doruk got the first place where 18 countries were competing.  Dorukhan really is an amazing musician and very smart, kind hearted and a very well-mannered young man.  In the 21 year history of this music competition, for the first time a winner played with his instrument with an orchestra, The European Symphony Orchestra, at the closing ceremony of the forum to about 1500 people. His performance ended with a standing ovation.   I could not help but think of Benyamin Sonmez, a very talented cellist from Fethiye that we lost in 2011 at the age of 28.  As most of you know, our town of Fethiye organised its first Classical Music Festival in his honour with the complete support of official and non-governmental organizations in Fethiye. Cello was an instrument that I was not very familiar with. Dorukhan Doruk and Benyamin Sonmez put this instrument in my awareness that is hard to diminish or take back. 
For more information on Dorukhan Doruk: www.dorukhandoruk.com and for information on Fethiye Classical Music Festival, which I hope will continue in the coming years:  www.festiyefest.com.

...

I met many old Lion friend from different parts of Europe in Brussels.  Especially dear friends from Romania, The Netherlands, Austria and from the headquarters of Lions Clubs International in the US.  I had the chance to see Lions Clubs International’s Past International President Dr. Wing-Kun Tam, from Hong Kong China, whom I had the honour of meeting in İzmir last year.  We had met in Busan, Korea as well this summer, but only shortly.  Of course, our current Lions International President Mr. Wayne Madden was also in Brussels.  Dorukhan Doruk received his music award from International President Mr. Madden.
...

My dentist in Istanbul is a wonderful lady from Belgium.  And many friends from different parts of Belgium.  I have always loved their friendly, down to earth but gentle attitude.  If I return to Belgium, I hope it will be to visit friends.  Like almost every piece of land on the planet, life feels safer and happier among friends.

With love and light.
Zeynep

Quote of the Week:
“Reality is always kinder than the stories we tell about it.”
-          Byron Katie, “Loving What Is”

Affirmation of the Week:
From Louise L. Hay:  “I attract only healthy relationships.  I am always treated well.”

No comments: