Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mars and Venus, Men and Women, Loving What Is


During my energy healing and coaching work, a lot of questions come about relationships.  I have been in a marriage for seven years and I have been single for over seven years now.  I am not an expert on relationships, yet I have seen enough to be able to realize some of the patterns that bring a man and a woman together closely or separate them. 

We cannot force relationships to work, but our thoughts and actions have the power to make a difference.  I have not been able to keep my marriage together, however I was able to conclude a relationship that was not supporting for me or for my ex-husband.  I do not have regrets.  And I am realizing that, that feeling is also very important.  All relationships may not be for forever, however I also see that there are many relationships that have true love at their core and deserve better care.

There is a book that has been around for over twenty years.  “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus” by John Gray.  This is a book is a great tool to have a better understanding of the world of men and women.  And it is still as valid as it was the day it was published in 1992.

I think I read Dr. Gray’s book for the first time in 1993 after I came back to Turkey from Cornell University.  Of course, that Zeynep had a much different point of view of the world and life.  Since then, I must have read this book and John Gray’s other books in the series many times.  Like many of the good books, I find something new in it for me every time I read it.  “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus” is one of the books that I definitely recommend you to read if you haven’t already.  “Conversations with God”, “Celestine Prophecy” and “Peaceful Warrior” are other three must reads if you are interested in energy, personal development tools or an honest sharing about spirituality.

...

What does John Gray share that is so important about relationships?

One very important information is that in a relationship we usually give others what we need ourselves. And that most of the time that does that serve none of the parties involved well.  It’s like Don Miguel Ruiz says, “Don’t take it personally.”  What we say or do is mostly about us even if we try to make it look like it is about our partner.  Most of it is subconscious.

If we are not aware of our own needs as well as the specific and unique needs of our partner, we start to hurt ourselves and the other, even if we are being honest, true, giving, gentle and loving towards are partner.  When things are not going well, we are at a loss as to what happened. Understanding that we might be giving our partner what actually we ourselves need is a very simple and huge concept.  A concept that we really need to understand.

I recommend John Gray’s suggestions on what can make our relationships work. However, I also definitely want to share that we need to start with a relationship we are interested in and that we are committed to.  If there is not true love under the core, all of the approaches will turn into manipulation.  His tools are not to win a person, but to be able to make it work with a person we are interested in and who is also interested in us.  The information he shares is more about understanding ourselves and our partner and making use of that information to make both of us happy.

...

“Loving What Is” is a great book by  Byron Katie.  I really like her work.  The healing process she uses is in fact called “The Work.”  Check out www.thework.com for more information on how to heal relationships.  She makes us question the hidden thoughts and motives behind our thoughts and assumptions.  We seem to be living with the stories we write about what is happening in our lives.  The reality might be different.  And sometimes it is not easy to deal with the feelings of anger, that we feel for others and even more for ourselves.

Master Thich Nhat Hanh recommends a walking meditation when angry.  In this meditation, he recommends to keep in mind and/or say the following sentences that are both acknowledgement of what is and also are affirmations:

                (Breathing in,) I know that anger is here.
                (Breathing out,) I know that the anger is me.
                (Breathing in,)  I know that anger is unpleasant.
                (Breathing out,)               I know this feeling will pass.
                (Breathing in,)  I am calm.
                (Breathing out,) I am strong enough to take care of this anger.

And to continue to walk, breathing in and out, saying these words, and focusing on the moment, on the steps, giving full focus to the contact between the souls of the feet and the earth.  He assures that we will start to enjoy our breathing, that our anger will subside and that we will feel stronger to face life.  Indeed, an
ger I believe usually arises when we do not feel strong enough to cope with what comes our way.

May your days be filled with love, compassion and trust.
Zeynep

Quote of the Week:
“Adventure is not outside; it is within.”
-          David Grayson
Affirmation of the Week:
From Louise L. Hay:  “When I encounter problems on the job, I am willing to ask for help.”

No comments: